Colombo Airport | Bandaranaike International | Katunayake
About Bandaranaike International Airport
Bandaranaike International Airport (also known as Katunayake International Airport and Colombo Bandaranaike International) is Sri Lanka’s only international airport. It is located in Katunayake, 35 km (22 miles) north of central Colombo. The airport is the hub of SriLankan Airlines, the national carrier of Sri Lanka, and Mihin Lanka, the budget airline of Sri Lanka.
Available Airport Transport
SriLanka and Maldives can organise one way or return airport-hotel transfers, as well as several point-to-point transfer around Sri Lanka. Transportation types include: hotel taxis, standard van taxis, jeeps, luxury cars, helicopter transfers and domestic flights. For more information, please visit our Sri Lanka Transfers page.
Duty Free Shopping at Bandaranaike International Airport
Bandaranaike International Airport has a variety of Duty Free Shops. Passengers can purchase:
- Electrical & Electronic Household Appliances – such as LCD TV’s, MP3 Players, etc
- Alcohol – International brands of wines, spirits, whiskeys, etc
- Duty Free Essentials – such as perfumes, chocolates, etc. are available at both the Arrival & Departure Terminals.
- ‘Ceylon Tea’, crafts and other Sri Lankan products are available at in the Transit Lobby of the Departure Terminal.
- Passengers with Sri Lankan passports are entitled for Duty Free Allowance, on arrival according to the period of their stay abroad.
- Foreigners are allowed liquor & cigarettes with duty free. Foreigners with resident visa are entitled for Duty Free Allowance.
Future Plans for the Aiport
Bandaranaike International Airport has undergone runway resurfacing and now supports the Airbus A380. In the first half of 2011, construction will start on a new airport terminal with the projected time for completion being early 2012. Long term airport expansion plans include a new luxury five star hotel and five-storey carpark.